How to choose your packaging adhesive ?There are many factors to consider when choosing the right tape for each application. Here are some helpful tips on packaging tape.
Criteria to consider
Be sure to pay special attention to your shipping/receiving environment when selecting the appropriate carton closure tape. Factors to consider are temperature, humidity and the life of the tape in these environments. Neglecting environmental factors when selecting tape can result in improperly sealed boxes and even damage to the product.
Each type of tape has several levels of quality depending on the thickness and type of adhesive. These levels relate to the tensile strength and the resistance of a material to breakage under tension. To keep it simple, lower quality tapes are best suited for sealing light weight boxes, and higher quality tapes for heavy duty applications. Tape quality is important to the performance of your packaging. The use of high quality tape reduces product damage and ensures that the product arrives at its final destination. Using lower quality tape increases the risk of damage and negatively affects your overall image.
Recycled boxes should be sealed with a water-based adhesive as some recycled materials can affect the ability of a tape to adhere to the surface.
Different categories of ribbons
The tapes are also differentiated according to the specific materials used and adhesives. Here is a list of the most commonly used adhesive tapes.
Classic packaging tape
- Properties: ordinary, inexpensive, customizable (printing, color, thickness, width)
- Construction: PSA (pressure sensitive adhesives), Polymer
- Application: in all sectors of activity for the sealing of cartons
Medium-strength tapes used for various applications, but generally for sealing cardboard boxes. These tapes are clear, brown in color or can be easily customized with patterns or markings.
Lightweight Packaging Tape
- Properties: inexpensive, durable
- Construction: Paper, Polyester
- Request: for light packaging
Polyester plastic tapes or paper tapes are perfect for sealing and enclosing lightweight packages - less than 15 kg. They usually have a pressure-sensitive adhesive and are simple to handle and dispense.
Strong packaging tape
- Properties: strength, durability, scratch resistance, insulation
- Construction: PVC, Reinforced Paper, Heat/Water Activated
- Application: for heavy packages, electrical insulation
Resistant adhesive tapes are used for boxes of 20 to 30 kilograms. Usually PVC tapes are used for this purpose, but glass fiber reinforced paper tapes are also available. These tapes provide electrical and chemical insulation and can often be used for electronic packaging.
- Properties: transparent, writable, easy to use
- Construction: Plastic, PSA
- Applications: Fairly common; used for arts, crafts, gift wrapping, home, offices.
Scotch tape is extremely common. They stick easily to packaging and are mainly used to glue paper. They are water resistant and cheap.
Gummed wrapping tape
- Properties: tamper-proof, weather-resistant, custom printing, durability
- Construction: Paper, Water Activated Adhesive
- Applications: theft prevention, tamper evidence, envelope sealing; food, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, manufacturing, electronics, jewelry, security industries
Gummed packing tapes are paper tapes often called "Kraft tape". They are used for light and heavy cardboard (with reinforcement). Unlike plastic tapes, gummed packing tapes are available in different qualities depending on the weight of the box. In addition, they are slightly more expensive and wider than plastic tapes. However, gummed tapes are ideal when safety is a major concern. They cannot be easily peeled off and leave traces of tampering.
- Properties: high tensile strength, clean removal, abrasion resistance
- Construction: Polypropylene, Polyester, PSA
- Applications: packaging reinforcement, product bundling, pallet / load unitization; electronics, appliances, automotive, manufacturing industries
The strapping tape has the capacity to support weights of several hundred kilos. They are very strong and are often used to bundle items or reinforce packages.
Do you need advice on choosing your product?
Call our specialists at +32 (0)4 224 99 99, from Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Best-selling carton sealing tapes
Tesa 4089 PP Packaging Tape - brown -48 mm x 100 m - per box of 36 rolls
Item No. 11801680
€ 3,64 Add to cart